|Council:||Richmond upon Thames|
East Sheen, also known as 'Sheen', is an affluent suburban town in Surrey within the metropolitan conurbation. It is within the Brixton Hundred.
The main high street is the Upper Richmond Road, populated by many small boutique clothing shops and delicatessens. Central to the area is a small square, known as The Triangle, with the war memorial, and an old milestone. A number of parks and open spaces are found in the area, including Richmond Park, by way of Sheen Gate; Palewell Common, which has a playground, playing fields, a polo field, tennis courts and a pitch and putt course; and East Sheen Common which leads onto Bog Gate, a secluded entrance to Richmond Park. Small local pubs are found mainly on Upper Richmond Road. Bars and restaurants are increasingly popular, drawing visitors in from beyond the town itself.
The name of the town
Richmond, Surrey was originally called “Sheen”, a name first recorded in about 950 as Sceon, which means shed” or “shelters. East Sheen was designated separately from Sheen from the 13th Century.
East Sheen was originally part of the Parish of Mortlake. In the nineteenth century though the town became swollen with new homes and the village that was became a substantial town, then a town swallowed by the growing suburbs. In 1894 nearby North Sheen was created as a civil parish, split from Mortlake.